Georgia Teaching License
If you want to teach in Georgia, you need to have Georgia Teaching License. As for all states in Georgia, you need to pass exams or graduate the school to be able to have the Teaching License. Here are the answers for the main questions about how to get a Georgia Teaching License.
How do you get a teaching license in Georgia?
- For Georgia Teaching License, first of all, you need to have a bachelor’s degree and be enrolled in a teaching program which is approved by GaPSC (Georgia Professional Standards Commission). For those, who do not have a bachelor’s degree, there is a chance to become certifies by completing educator certification program at an approved college.
- You need to have a minimum GPA of 2.5 if you are a student, who earned the bachelor degree within 10 years of applying for teacher certification.
- You need to complete approved student teaching hours. It is a degree requirement, which should be completed and submitted in the official college transcript.
- You need to receive a passing grade on required exams. For Georgia Teaching License you must complete tests through the Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators (GACE). For more information, please visit the site.
- You need to pass background clearance by Georgia. In order to teach at a public or private school, teachers must undergo to a criminal background check.
- You need to submit an application for teaching certification. To submit the application you need to fill the forms here:
In addition, you need to provide official transcript from your college, proof of US citizenship, and a copy of a photo ID. Teachers whօ earned their degree from a state օther than Georgia must submit an experience verification form. All documents may be submitted thrօugh the applicant’s online GaPSC account (the link is above).
- Finally, you need to make some payments. The processing fee for the submission of an application is $20. For the enrollment in a GaPSC- approved program, you must complete an admissions assessment and pay for it $78. Teachers also pay $30 for the Georgia educator ethics assessment and $123 for content examination.
How do I transfer my teaching license to Georgia?
The process, how a teacher from the other state can get a Georgia Teaching License is somehow facilitated. You may qualify for interstate reciprocity. You must also submit an experience verification, and additional requirements specific to Georgia, such as a special education course requirement, an ethics assessment, and content assessments. Some of these may be waived based on the experience.
How can I teach in Georgia without a certification?
If you have a bachelor’s degree with a major in the subject that you want to teach you can apply to a Georgia approved educator preparation program and then complete the program requirements while teaching under individualized mentorship and professional coaching. You must complete the program requirements within three years of entry. After the graduation, you are eligible for an Inducation certificate, the entry-level teaching certification in Georgia.
How long is a Georgia teaching certificate/license valid?
The Georgia Teaching License is valid for 5 years. To be able to renew your license during that 5 years you need to complete one of the above-mentioned credits:
- 6 semester hours of college course work from accredited Georgia colleges/universities;
- 10 credits of Georgia Professional Lеarning Units;
- 10 credits of U.S. Department of Education Teаcher-to-Teacher Workshops;
- 10 credits of continuing education units under the International Association for Continuing Educаtion Units (IACET).
Besides the Georgia Teaching License lookup, you can also search for other licenses from the top search bar.